Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stuffed Pattypan Squash

Have I mentioned how much I love our CSA? I think I have! Another reason why I love our CSA is the variety of veggies we receive each week. Last week there was zucchini, summer squash, kousa squash and some adorable little patty pan squash. I made sure to grab 4 patty pan squash because I had an idea. After chatting with another CSA member about patty pan squash I had decided that the next night I would make stuffed patty pan squash! I couldn't wait!

You would know if you have seen patty pan squash before because they look like little yellow flying saucers. They are similar to summer squash in flavor and texture and can be cooked the same. If you have a chance pick some of these squash up at your local farmers market and give them a try. Here is the recipe. While cooking and eating these stuffed squash I was thinking about how many variations there are for these. For example if you wanted more of a mexican dish you could use black beans and rice and season with cumin a chili powder. As always let me know what you think of these stuffed flying saucers and share your thoughts on other variations as well. Enjoy!

Ingredients 

  • 4 Patty pan squash
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 can or 2 cups of cannellini beans
  • 1 box of Chopped Pomi Tomatoes or 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup of quinoa
  • 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
  • oregano
  • thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cook quinoa according to directions.
  3. Cut tops off of the squash and scoop out the pulp. Roughly chop the pulp.
  4. Pour some of the tomatoes in the bottom of a square baking dish. Place the hollowed out squash in the baking dish.
  5. Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and sautee until tender.
  6. Add squash, tomatoes, beans and cooked quinoa.
  7. Season to taste with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Allow mixture to cook for about 10 minutes.
  8. Fill each patty pan squash with the squash mixture.*
  9. Cover with foil and bake for 40-60 minutes or until squash is tender.
  10. Remove foil and sprinkle the tops of the squash with cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*There will be extra filling. Save this for another night and serve as a side dish or use as a filling to make stuffed peppers.

Hollowed out squash and ingredients ready to be cooked.
Squash in the pan ready to be filled.

Stuffed and ready to go in the oven.
Done! I was so excited I forgot to take a picture of all four before eating them:)






No comments:

Post a Comment