Saturday, June 8, 2013

Roasted Beet Pizza

I went to dinner one night at Flatbread Pizza Co.http://www.flatbreadcompany.com with my family. We had this amazing vegetarian pizza with roasted beets. It was fabulous!! I have never had pizza with beets on it nor have I ever thought about putting beets on pizza. Ever since eating that pizza I have been determined to try and make it at home...because that's what I do:). Once the weather starts to warm up around here I start making my pizza outside on the grill. I think I like it better on the grill! The crust is nice and crisp. I use a pizza stone and I will go into detail on how to properly cook pizza on a stone on the grill. So if you're interested in trying this fabulous pizza, and I recommend that you do, continue to read on and go for it!

First thing you'll need is pizza dough. I have been making pizza dough for a while now. I have tweaked my recipe slightly over time and now I have it just right. Here's the recipe for the pizza dough.

Pizza Dough

  • 1 packet or 2 teaspoons of Instant yeast
  • 2 to 3 Cups of White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoons of Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons of Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal*
  • 1 Cup of Water
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon of Honey
Directions

  1. Combine water, oil and honey and microwave for 1:30.
  2. Combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt and flax seeds in a mixer bowl and stir to combine.
  3. Add water mixture to the flour mixture.
  4. Mix on setting 2 until all ingredients combine.
  5. The mixture will most likely be sticky. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time and allow to mix before adding more.
  6. Continue to add flour until a ball forms and cleans the sides of the mixing bowl.
  7. Mix on setting 2 for 6 minutes. Set a timer and walk away! The kneading process is important.
  8. After the dough has been kneaded place into a bowl greased with a little olive oil. Cover with saran wrap and let rise for at least an hour.

*Ground Flax Seed Meal are rich in fiber, lignans(antioxidants) and omega 3 fats. I add this to all of my baked goods for added nutritional benefits. They hardly add any flavor so go ahead and throw some in your pancake or waffle mix, baked into bread or muffins or sprinkle on hot or cold cereal. I even add it to my chocolate chip cookies! You will find it with the Bob's Red Millhttp://www.bobsredmill.com products in your grocery store.

Roasted Beet Pizza

  • Pizza Dough (If using store bought dough, allow it to rise to room temperature before placing on a pizza stone)
  • 1 bunch of beets, roasted and sliced
  • beet greens, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, sliced thin
  • plum tomatoes, sliced
  • fontina cheese, grated
  • balsamic glaze
  • salt and pepper
  • cornmeal

  1. Place a pizza stone on the grill and preheat on high. It is important that the stone is heated with the grill not placed in after it is heated! Cut the stems off of the beets and save the greens. Rinse the beets and place them into a foil pouch drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the foil pouch on the top wrack of the grill and cook for about an hour. Check the beets every so often to see if they are done. If you're not using the grill you can roast the beets in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. 
  2. Remove from grill or oven and allow to cool slightly. Run the beets under cold water and slip the skins off then slice.
  3. Once the dough has risen for an hour, punch it down in the bowl. My pizza stone is small(about 12 inches) so I divide the dough in two. Spread the dough onto a pizza pan or cutting board greased with olive oil.
  4. Sprinkle some cornmeal on the pizza stone. Place the dough onto the stone.
  5. Top with beet greens, beets, tomatoes, red onion and fontina cheese. Close the lid and allow to bake for about 10-15 minutes.
  6. Remove pizza from stone onto your pizza pan. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
  7. Slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment