Sunday, October 9, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture: Are you a member?

I only learned about Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) two years ago. I was frustrated that I could not afford to buy all local, organic fruits and vegetables for my family. What do you do when you are faced with a dilemma in this day and age? Post it on Facebook of course! Immediately someone suggested that I look into CSA's in our area. I like to do research so I began a search online to see what CSA's were all about and how I could be a part of this wonderful concept. Little did I know that this would be the beginning of a wonderful new adventure for me and my family! I find that belonging to a CSA has greatly influenced my 'Homemade' approach. I highly recommend considering joining a CSA. At least do a little research! For those of you who are unfamiliar with CSA's here is some information.


A farmer advertises their CSA program offering a certain number of shares. Consumers purchase a share for the season and in return they receive a box of seasonal produce each week. There are benefits for both the farmer and the consumer. When the farmer receives payments in the beginning of the season, they are able to buy seeds and supplies needed to produce the food. Consumers benefit by getting local, fresh produce each week. Delicious, organic produce is not the only benefit of being a CSA member. By participating in a local CSA you are helping the environment. Your produce is not traveling as far as grocery store produce, which travels an average of 1500 miles. (National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service) You will be eating what is in season in your local area. And you are also investing in preserving local farmland.

Some of the reasons I love being part of a CSA:

  • Trying new vegetables. Have you ever had Tatsoi or Kohlrabi? Have you ever enjoyed the flavors or beauty of Garlic Scapes and Romanesco? If you answered no to those questions then you're missing out!
  • Experimenting with new recipes.
  • Having the ability to can or preserve vegetables for the winter season.
Hopefully I have sparked some interest and you will consider becoming a CSA member! Here are some links to help you get started.

If you are interested in finding a CSA in your area as well as more information about CSA's in general:www.localharesvt.org/csa/

Here is the CSA where I am a member:www.farmerdaves.net

I hope you will do some research to learn more about this wonderful opportunity. Let me know if you decide to become a member of a CSA in your area!
This is an example of what you might get in your share.
Kayla enjoying an ear of corn at our CSA member appreciation pot luck party!

No comments:

Post a Comment