Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas!


It's a couple of days before Christmas and I thought I could share some recipes and ideas that might inspire you. I'm sure most of you have been just as busy as I have been! Shopping, baking, wrapping, more shopping! It can be overwhelming but I hope that you are all enjoying this time of year as well.


Growing up we always celebrated festa dei sette pesci, feast of the seven fishes, on La Vigilia, Christmas Eve. Over the years this celebration has evolved. Last year was the first time that I have hosted at our house. We had done the same thing as years past and ordered fish from Bradford Seafood. It's very good but my grandmother likes fried fish and the rest of us find it to be too much fried food! So my mother and I made an executive decision last year and decided that I would cook the following year. As much as I would love to continue on with the tradition of the seven fish, I don't find it necessary to make seven different fish dishes for eight people! I've decided to keep it simple but homemade and yummy of course! I'm going to make a baked haddock, a fresh salad, and to keep the peace with my grandmother we will make waffle fries! My mother is also going to bring shrimp cocktail. Sounds good to me! Should be delicious! Hopefully my fellow Italian followers will gain some inspiration from this post and realize it's okay to cut back and still stick with your traditions! Buon Natale!


I know not everyone will celebrate Christmas the same but I'm sure a lot of you will celebrate with a cocktail! Here is what I'm going to be mixing up on Christmas Eve.


Candy Cane Martini 
  • 1/2 oz. Peppermint Schnapps
  • 1 1/2 oz. Vanilla Vodka
Fill a shaker with ice, vodka and peppermint schnapps. Shake to mix and strain into a chilled martini glass rimmed with crushed candy canes. Garnish with a mini candy cane! Enjoy!

For dessert I'm going to make my grandmothers favorite dessert. This is a delicious cake/bread that is great for both the fall and winter seasons. I got this recipe from a former co-worker. We used to make it with the kids after a nice apple picking field trip.

Apple Cake
  • 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped (about 3 large apples)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  1. Mix together oil, eggs and sugar and vanilla.
  2. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices.
  3. Add to oil mixture.
  4. Stir in apples.
  5. Add 1 cup of raisins and 1 cup of chopped walnuts. (optional)
  6. Bake in two bread pans or 1 bundt pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
                                     

This cake is so yummy that it is gone within 24 hours! My grandmother likes to enjoy a slice with a cup of tea or coffee. You can also make a glaze to drizzle over the cake or dust with powdered sugar but it certainly doesn't need it! It is delicious just the way it is!



I am wishing everyone the happiest of holidays! Relax, enjoy and celebrate with your loved ones! 
Buon Natale!





No comments:

Post a Comment